In-House Lab at Bayview Animal Hospital:
Bayview Animal Hospital runs an in-house laboratory to provide you with test results quickly and efficiently.
About Our In-House Laboratory
Pet Diagnostic Testing
We provide a complete range of diagnostic tests. Here are some of the standard services that we offer:
- Blood Tests: These are essential to maintaining your pet’s health and can be used for everything from determining the presence of pathogens such as bacteria and viruses to reducing or eliminating complications from anesthesia during surgery.
- CBC: Complete blood cell count reveals the overall health of your pet’s blood, including the relationship between red and white blood cells and platelets. This helps us determine the health of oxygen in the blood, the presence of disease and any issues with clotting.
- Blood Chemistry Panel: A blood chemistry panel gives a good overview of your pet’s general health, their metabolism and internal organs. It can be used to screen for liver disease, kidney disease and diabetes. This form of screening is used to check sodium and potassium levels, and to evaluate the function of the thyroid gland.
- Urine Analysis: This is an important diagnostic for your pet’s kidney health and can indicate the presence of a urinary tract infection, diabetes or urinary crystals. There are a few ways to perform urine collection. The first is to catch a urine sample in a clean container. Alternately, your vet may choose to use a sterile catheter or by cystocentesis, using a sterile needle passed into the bladder. All of these procedures are safe and yield clean samples.
When Lab Tests are Necessary
Laboratory diagnostics may be required for many situations. These include:
- Surgical, dental procedures or radiograph procedures that require anesthesia
- Symptoms of illness or disease present
- Assessing trauma from an accident or injury
- Sudden change in behavior or weight
- Evaluation of a senior pet